The SMBX chat has rules of its own that you, yes you, are expected to follow to avoid getting kicked, banned, or other unpleasant punishments. These are mostly copy and pasted from the forum rules, but there are a couple of special additions just for the chat.
First thing's first: ALL FORUM RULES APPLY. I know I stated this already but chances are you skimmed by it. You may read up on these here: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=4288 In case you are too lazy to click another link, here is a fast list with no explanations:
1. RESPECT THE STAFF AND OTHER USERS.
2. FOLLOW COMMON POSTING HABITS. (You can ignore most of this except for the "English-based forum" part.)
3. NO MATURE OR ILLEGAL CONTENT.
4a. DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE.
4b. DO NOT MAKE MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS.
4c. And a special DarkMatt bonus: DON'T EVADE BANS. Thought I help clarify this: do not try to find clever ways to evade bans on the chat. You just waste yours and the staff's time. Deal with your ban in a productive way if you don't like it.
The forum staff maintains the right to enforce the rules as their descretion. Any decision they make is final. Contact an admin if you don't think a staff member is doing their job. Yada yada.
And now, for the extra additions:
5. DO NOT SPAM MULTIPLE LINES OR LINKS. Please throttle the amount of messages you send on IRC and do not send multiple lines into the chat at once. The server doesn't like it and chances are neither does the chat users. As for links, just once is fine. If it gets ignored, you may post it again after a bit, but don't post it so much that it's blatant you're either really grabbing for attention, or breaking this next rule right here.
5a. Do not join and leave #smbx rapidly.
6. DO NOT ADVERTISE. This can be recruiting for a guild on some video game, or polling people to upvote your levels or otherwise, or asking people to register on another forum, or even slinging a link around because someone asked you to. In general, if your intention is for people to go to that website and do something for your or someone else's gain, we do not want it posted here. On the other hand, if you just want to spread the word about something or share something you made with the chat, that is totally okay. Just don't break the previous rule by spamming it.
Failure to follow these rules may result in kicks, warnings, and bans if you are not automatically banned by a channel bot.